Toys are essential for development of babies and toddlers. However, we as parents need to select the age appropriate toys to get the most of the benefits of play time. Toys can improve many skills for the little ones including imagination, creativity and hand eye coordination.
However, as parents most of us always pay more attention to select educational toys or age appropriate toys which develop skills of infants and toddlers. Have you ever searched toys for your toddler considering any safety guidelines or do you always search for the best toys for toddlers?
When it comes to the best toys for the toddlers, you may lack of considering some of the safe tips which you must follow. That is why it is always need to consider both safe and educational toys for the young kids in order to create safe environment for them. Specially, it is important to follow toy safety standards and toy safety tips with toddlers as they are in a curious stage of life which they always try to explore new things.
Actually,I decided to write this post because of one of my experiences which I regretted much.Exactly one year ago(Last year September),my son faced an accident at home.He slipped on the floor and ended up with 4 stitches on his chin.If you notice the below picture which was taken at his 2nd year birthday celebration,he was with 4 stitches on his chin.In all these birthday photos he looks so tired because he was under treatment.Actually the floor was clean and tidy.But I gave him a balloon and the excited kid wanted to grab it fast and slipped on the floor.It was an accident which we never expected.
Today,exactly after one year of that incident,I want to share some tips which you need to follow when you buy toys for your toddler or when you play with your toddler.These may helpful for you to avoid some of the unexpected incidents which we don’t want to face in our life.
Here are the tips which you can follow in order to ensure that your toddler is using safe toys and games. These tips will ensure your toddler to play in a fun and injury free environment which also creates a peaceful mind for you.
Safety Tips for Toys with Toddlers
- Check for age appropriate toys and games. When you buy toys for your toddler, always check the product description and appropriate age range. This will ensure that you buy the correct toys for his age.
- Once you open the packaging, always remember to discard the plastic wrappings. Plastic wrapping can suffocate a small child creating hazards that you will never expect!
- Always avoid small toys and games from young children which increase possible choking hazards. Toys with removable small parts always increase the choking hazards.
- Strangling is another possible hazard which you should aware of. If the toys are with rope, string or cords, you must be careful when your toddler is playing with such toys. It is always better to keep the strings away from their reach.
- Always inspect toys of your toddler for sharp edges and broken parts. Discard the toys if those are broken.
- Keep the toys in designated areas after playing. Start doing so with your toddler. Not only he will learn organizing from the early days of his life, he will also love this activity after any play session. Your toddler will have safe environment with tidy floor which also prevent falls and such accidents.
- Not only with toys, you also need to follow safety guidelines and safety tips in everything you do with your toddlers and infants. It can be Food, outdoor playing, baby furniture or even travelling.You can easily learn more at Kokopax’s website about safe baby products and how do we need to decide on the products before buying.Safety should be in first concern with everything you do while raising your kid in order to raise happy and healthy kids.
- Other than safety guidelines, it is also essential to know the latest information on recalls.
Recently I came across of Consumersafety.org which focuses on consumer safety.
Their mission is to make information about recalls and safety-related news about drugs, medical devices, food, and consumer products with easy accessible way to everyone. Actually I opened my eyes once I read their safety guidelines and tips for infant & kids. There are lots more informative details and guidelines which you can read at their site. Have a look and see how you can add the safety guidelines and recalls information for your lifestyle. You can also find the alerts for recalls which are really helpful for you in order to keep your home and loved ones in safe environment.
Do you consider safety tips when you buy toys for your kids and toddlers? What are your toy safety tips? Please share your ideas below.
Amila Gamage Wickramarachchi is the founder of this blog where she shares her parenting and lifestyle experiences. She is an engineer and a trainer who works in the construction industry. She is the founder of Sihela Consultants.(www.sihelaconsultants.com)