Where to donate books in Singapore? Did you ever think of that? I know you have a collection of used books but in good condition. And you need to buy new books to your reading collection. This is something we are facing right now too. Where can I drop off used books in Singapore? It was a doubt for me few years ago. Luckily we found the right place to share our used books. It is NLB Book Exchange Corner!
What is Book Exchange Corner?
In the public library there is one corner with a book shelf where you can keep your well used and pre-loved books. I found this as a good initiative to reuse books. If I know someone who loves reading I am happy to share our used books. Practically I found it is difficult sometimes. But, with Book Exchange Corner in public library we can easily donate our books even during each library visit.
We usually visit Ang Mo Kio public library. You can check the library near to you for the book exchange corner.Most libraries in Singapore are with a book excghange corner.
How to donate books to the library book exchange corner?
If you have used books that are in good condition, consider donating to the library book exchange corner. This is a community driven project where people can drop their books to the shelf at the library. Be sure to keep your books organized in the shelf.it is not just to drop and go.
If you love to read a new book, then you can take up to 3 books too. The books in Book Exchange Corner are the pre-loved books of other readers. You can browse and take a book to read.Remember to return the books in your next visit.
Doesn’t this sound good?
At home we read lot of books. My kid is a book worm too. I helped him to cultivate the habit of reading books when he was really young. When the kid was born I started readong him bed time stories. Reading a book before sleeping was a habit at our home. We started using the public library when the kid was a toddler. Here is our first library visit.Surprisingly my kid started reading on his own at really early stage which was another benefit of reading from the young age.
Now, it is time to teach him about the value of reusing his books. I believe that he needs to learn about sharing his used and loved books with others. With that purpose I found Library book exchange corner is the right place to share our used books.
These captures are from our recent visit to the library where we donated few books to the library book exchange corner. As I want the kid to learn the importance of sharing and reuse of the books, I asked him to choose few books that he loves donating. Therefore though I helped him, donating these books are under his responsibility and he loved choosing the books and sharing it. It was a good weekend project for us!
Benefits of reusing the used books
- When you find a way to reuse your old books,that act helps others to read a new book without the need of buying.
- When kids are involved they will also learn the habit of sharing,reuse and caring the environment from the early stage of their life.
- We can’t forget the great positive impact on environment when we reuse.Each single and simple act counts.
- You’ll find space in your home.Instead of keeping things that you really don’t use,it is good to find a new place for some of your used items.
You can even recycle your used ink & toner cartridges using the box next to the Book Exchange Corner.There are many ways that you can contribute to our environment.
I shared this post as part of our green lifestyle series. With a simple act we can help the community and the nature. Going green is not difficult. You can start it today. And be sure to involve the children. They are the future generation and they will grow with these concepts.
Below are some other activities that you can do with your children in order to spend a green lifestyle with them.
- Start recycling by making a DIY recycle box like we did.
- Do a craft using disposable items and allow them to be crafty. Check this Save environment craft.This lion craft is another idea.
- Spend time on a nature walk to connect children with nature.Here are some other ideas to help children connect with nature.
- Reuse some of the used bottles and items to create games.It is fun to play with such items.Here is how we spend time bowling with empty bottles
- You can even use a burst baloon to make drum which improve creativity of the children while learning to be creative with the things that they don’t use.Check how we created this balloon drum with a balloon skin.
- Check our workshops on connect with nature if you want to share knowledge to the children.
Do you like this idea of swapping books or donating books? What do you do with your used books?
Please share your thoughts.
Amila Gamage Wickramarachchi is the founder of this blog where she shares her parenting and lifestyle experiences. She is an engineer and a trainer who works in the construction industry. She is the founder of Sihela Consultants.(www.sihelaconsultants.com)