There are a lot of reasons to love antique jewellery, those fine pieces specially handcrafted for a person many years ago. If you are considering acquiring a few of them, you have to ensure what you get are authentic pieces.
Building an antique jewellery collection can be a bit overwhelming and you may be tempted to buy as many as you can. However, it is important to remember that you should go for quality instead of quantity as oftentimes, big discounts lead to poor quality items and even counterfeit ones. You should take time as buying antique pieces is one of those major investments you make in your life.
Below are tips on buying fine antique jewellery.
- Don’t Rush – As stated above, take all the time you need in deciding on whether or not to buy expensive antiques. You have to think it through and not let yourself get carried away with the excitement of actually owning an antique piece.
- Set A Budget – This is one of the first things you should decide on, as having a budget tells you how much you are willing to spend on antiques. You will know which items you should be focusing on. Your antique dealer will also be able to point you to items that are within your budget, helping you avoid overspending and even help you save some money.
- Research Online – Spending an hour a day researching on antique jewellery as well as your favourite periods will be invaluable in the long run. You get to improve your knowledge and be able to make informed decisions before making a purchase. The internet is the perfect place to get all the information you need.
- Steer Clear Of Personal Sales – If you’re a newbie antique collector, it is better that you avoid entertaining sales from private individuals. You could end up with a fake item in your hands. When faced with an offer, you can ask as much information as you can, take pictures of the item and send them to your trusted antique dealer. Always seek your dealer’s opinion before buying any antique piece.
- Go To An Established Antique Dealer – By reading about a particular dealer’s history as well as checking reviews online, among others, you’ll be able to determine whether he or she can be trusted. Established dealers have a reputation to uphold, so it is always best to go to them. Be able to forge a good relationship with that kind of dealer. Online antique jewellers range would be extensive, they would be able to cover all periods, allowing you to stumble upon an item that suits your taste and your budget.
- Always Seek Second Opinions – Whether or not you are sure about a piece, it would do a novice collector like you a lot of good to consult an expert. Never buy pieces out of whim. Even if you know quite much about antiques, the opinion of an expert would save you from getting into a deal with unscrupulous dealers.
With the above tips, you’ll be able to spot a good deal from an unscrupulous one. The chances of ending up buying something counterfeit would be greatly reduced. As long as you have a reliable antique jewellery dealer on your side, you will be able to make the great purchases.
Amila Gamage Wickramarachchi is the founder of this blog where she shares her parenting and lifestyle experiences. She is an engineer and a trainer who works in the construction industry. She is the founder of Sihela Consultants.(www.sihelaconsultants.com)